In our pursuit of balancing the compass and the clock … the important vs the urgent … there is a need to understand how to process the urgent matters. Urgent matters force themselves on us constantly.
Urgent matters can so force themselves on us, that they can be a “tyrant” in our lives. There is little we can do about that. However, how we respond to them is our choice. And as such, you can choose to be a slave to the urgent, or you can declare your independence.
Click to Listen
In this episode, I share on the following topics:
- The things in life that push urgency on us
- Technology: friend or foe?
- Why we secretly love the urgent
- The Urgency Test … a 16 item test to determine the impact of urgency in your life
- The 4 quadrants as Star Wars characters
I also share 7 Action Steps you can put into place to start downsizing the impact of urgency in your life:
- Write down your feelings when you think of the word “urgency” and “important.”
- List some sample activities in all 4 quadrants.
- Rob from Quadrant III and IV to feed Quadrant II.
- Learn a new identity.
- Consider outsourcing.
- Realize that Quadrant II can change.
- Plan your important Quadrant II areas for next week.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Stephen Covey, “First Things First”
- ‘Grueling’ hours at banks in focus after intern death
- On the Job: Live the dream and do what you love
- Urgency Test
- Tyranny of the Urgent!
- Office Space – Special Edition with Flair (Widescreen Edition)
- The 4 Quadrants
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What are some of your urgent matters? How are you planning on dealing with them in some way this coming week? You can leave a comment by clicking here.