Multitasking … this can be a very controversial topic to some. There seems to be countless research debunking the practice. Do a search on the myth of multitasking and you will see what I mean.
But, there seems to be a big contradiction … because we can drive and listen to music at the same time, or cook dinner and talk on the phone. So how can we explain this contradiction?
Click to Listen
Multitasking Show Notes
In this episode of First Things, I look at the various research on multitasking, apparent contradictions to this research, and some action steps to put into action our findings. I also do an experiment on myself showing how good (or bad) I am at it.
In this episode, I share on the following topics:
- A sampling of some of the research on multitasking
- Objections and contradictions to research findings
- An attempt to balance all evidence and come up with final conclusions
- An actual test I do on myself to see how effective I am at multitasking simple tasks
- 7 Action Steps to eradicate the negative influence of multitasking
- Don’t just take my word for it
- Weigh the costs
- Asking, “Does your job really demand you attempt switch-tasking?”
- When you have a choice, limit yourself
- Beware of Distractions
- If you must …
- Reward yourself
Multitasking Episode Resources
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Training Improves Multitasking Performance by Increasing the Speed of Information Processing in Human Prefrontal Cortex
- A Unified attentional bottleneck in the human brain
- Multitasking and Stress
- NPR: The Myth of Multitasking
- Breadth-biased versus focused cognitive control in media multitasking behaviors
- The New Atlantis: The Myth of Multitasking
- Russell Poldrack: Multi-Tasking Adversely Affects the Brain’s Learning Systems
- The Multitasking Virus and the End of Learning?
- Why it’s time to reject the myth of multitasking
- National Geographic video testing a self-proclaimed multitasker’s ability
- Fun interview with Gina Trapani on stopping multitasking and working smarter
- My Podcast on Unleashing the Lion in Your Brain
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me. Also, feel free to leave me a voicemail as well by clicking the tab on the middle right of your screen.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: Have questions on multitasking? Practices that you use that work for you? Or topics you would like to hear me cover? You can leave a comment below.