At its most basic level, mentoring helps because it guarantees a person that there is someone who cares about them … that they aren’t alone in dealing with day-to-day challenges.
The 2013 study “The Role of Risk: Mentoring Experiences and Outcomes for Youth with Varying Risk Profiles,” examined mentoring program relationships, experiences and benefits for higher-risk youth, and among the findings determined:
- The strongest program benefit, and most consistent across risk groups, was a reduction in depressive symptoms — a particularly noteworthy finding given that almost one in four youth reported worrisome levels of these symptoms at baseline.
- Findings also suggested gains in social acceptance, academic attitudes and grades.
- In addition to benefits in specific domains, mentored youth also experienced gains in a greater number of outcomes than youth in the comparison group.
The only problem for me … I never had a mentor …
Click to Listen
“Mentor Wanted” Show Notes
In this episode, I share on the following topics:
- A “Thank You” to my core listeners
- My favorite mentors
- 15 simple rules I wish someone had mentored me in
- Don’t sweat the small stuff
- Failure is not an inhibitor, but a catalyst
- Don’t be a people pleaser
- Happiness comes before success
- Never speak bad about yourself
- Understand the difference between the urgent and the important
- Don’t be afraid to say “No”
- Don’t be afraid to say “Yes”
- Stay away from drama and negativity
- Your family is more important than your phone
- I don’t have to act on the thoughts in my head
- If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it
- If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
- If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place
- DREAM, IMAGINE, and LOVE
“Mentor Wanted” Episode Resources
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- The Complete Matrix Trilogy (The Matrix / The Matrix Reloaded / The Matrix Revolutions) [Blu-ray]
- The Legend of Bagger Vance
- The Karate Kid Collection (Four Film Set)
- The Crocodile Hunter – Collision Course
- The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Extended Editions) [Blu-ray]
- Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium [Blu-ray]
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me. Also, feel free to leave me a voicemail as well by clicking the tab on the middle right of your screen. If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: Have questions about the show? Questions on mentoring or the tips I suggested? Or topics you would like to hear me cover? You can leave a comment below, or leave me a voicemail by clicking on the link to the right. P.S. I have openings right now if you are looking for a mentor for your life. Please leave me a voicemail if interested.