What do the following people have in common? Abraham Lincoln, Steve Jobs, Michael Jordan, Napoleon Hill, Tony Robbins, and J.K. Rowling. If you say, “famous people” … well, that is only partially right. These are also people who have experienced some of the greatest failures in life.
Do you struggle with the fear of failure? Or feel like you are in a performance trap? Does a failure send you into a spiral of despair? Do you find it difficult to be creative for fear that you will fail in your attempt?
Click to Listen
“Overcoming Fear of Failure” Show Notes
In this episode, I share on the following topics:
- The faulty belief which is at the core of the fear of failure
- The latest research on the fear of failure
- Quick tests to see how impactful this is in your life
- Ways in which the fear of failure manifests itself in life
- Why Creativity and Fear are next door neighbors
- 7 Action Steps to start dealing with the fear of failure
- Failure happens … now can we just move on?!
- Remember past failures
- Study other people
- Redefine failure
- Failure is temporary
- Deal with stinkin’ thinkin’
- Treat your life as an adventure … as an experiment
“Overcoming Fear of Failure” Episode Resources
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- What Frightens America’s Youth?
- Stress and Coping Resources: Theory and Review
- John Atkinson research
- Valence of success and failure in relation to task difficulty: Past research and recent progress by N. T. Feather
- A social-cognitive approach to motivation and personality by Carol Dweck and Ellen Leggett
- My podcast on “Stuck: Emotional Health by Unthawing Frozen Emotions and Moving Forward with Traction”
- My podcast on “Stinkin’ Thinkin’ … How your thoughts affect your productivity more than you know”
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me. Also, feel free to leave me a voicemail as well by clicking the tab on the middle right of your screen.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: Have questions about the fear of failure? Practices that you use that work to help you overcome the performance trap? Or topics you would like to hear me cover? You can leave a comment below, or leave me a voicemail by clicking on the link to the right.