Perfectionism is a particular expression of the fear of failure. By setting up unrealistic expectations, people can set themselves up for great stress in their lives.
It isn’t necessarily bad to have high standards. Having goals helps you achieve things in life. BUT when these goals are either unachievable or only achievable at great cost, it makes it very difficult to feel good about yourself. This is when perfectionism can be problematic.
Click to Listen
“Perfectionism” Show Notes
In this episode, I share on the following topics:
- Excuses people give for being a perfectionist
- A working definition of perfectionism
- The consequences of being a perfectionist
- Where is the battle in perfectionism?
- 4 Action Steps to start dealing with a perfectionist mindset
- It all begins with our thoughts
- Give yourself permission to fail
- Baby steps
- Incorporate a different paradigm
“Perfectionism” Episode Resources
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- Dr. Martin Antony on the definition of perfectionism
- The Dark Side of Perfectionism Revealed
- Ghostbusters DVD
- Leonard Cohen – Anthem
- Jennifer Gresham: Today is a Great Day to Make a Mistake
A Balanced Mindset:
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me. Also, feel free to leave me a voicemail as well by clicking the tab on the middle right of your screen.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: Have questions about the show? Questions you would like to ask me about perfectionism? Tips you use to overcome perfectionism? Or topics you would like to hear me cover? You can leave a comment below, or leave me a voicemail by clicking on the link to the right.