We all do it … everyday we have inner conversations with ourselves. We are constantly thinking, and some of these thoughts may be thwart us, or stir us toward greater potential.
Click to Listen
In this episode, I cover the following topics:
- How to recognize “stinkin’ thinkin'” from neutral/good thoughts.
- I detail five types of “stinkin’ thinkin'” along with examples of each
- Perfectionism/”all or nothing” – It must be perfect before I will accept it or myself.
- Majoring on minors – a focus on the negative in life at the expense of the good.
- Labels – The “I am ____” statements that cripple us in life.
- Should/ought … two little words that can put our entire focus of being in the future or past, instead of NOW.
- Personalization and Blame – how we can take bad events, even those caused by ourselves, and base our entire identity around that.
- Action steps
- Who are you? You have the potential to be something more.
- Quit saying, “I am _____”
- Quit having pity parties.
- Forgive yourself.
- Realize you are not alone.
- Confront your thoughts.
- Replace your thoughts.
- Ask for help.
- Set small goals.
- Work on one “I’m just _____” today.
In this episode I mentioned several resources, including:
- David Burns’ article: The Top 10 Types of “Stinkin’ Thinkin'”
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me.
Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What types of stinkin’ thinkin’ have you personally dealt with? What are some “tips & tricks” you’ve learned in dealing with these thoughts? You can leave a comment by clicking here.